Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

News Bites

BREAKING NEWS: The other day, I had what can only be described as a Mexican matzah ball. It was made with corn meal, I assume, but the texture and color were sure matzah-ish! What´s more: I came across it in my bowl of chicken soup! Deeeelicious, but still no comparison to the ones my mom makes.

This past Saturday was Mexican Independence day. An otherwise un-noteworthy day was punctuated with a riotous time at a new club in town, Dharma. Being in Dharma must have brought me good Karma because I met someone who I am now dating. Wow things happen fast here! His name is David, he listens to ska, has an NFL and an NBA blanket, and he loves Jack Black. On our first date, we went hiking in the most beautiful valley ever, Puerto del Aire (think Jurassic Park meets "Are You Afraid of the Dark?") and watched Nacho Libre (his selection). After seven hours of Spanglish, we felt like old friends. On our second date, he gave me a mix CD. I´m smitten.

David´s parents own a billiard hall/bar with huge TVs everywhere and a great soundsystem. I eat and drink for free there (his parents are really generous and sweet) AND David said they get ESPN, EPSN 2, Fox Sports, and more. HELLO baseball playoffs and football! I am psyched to have a place to chill and watch my teams. HERE WE GO STEELERS! We can also watch all the European soccer matches. Today there was an FC Barcelona game -- it´s sports heaven.

The weather has turned from cloudy and hot to windy, cloudless, and hot. After this wind, the cold is supposed to come. I got a taste of it this past weekend, and although it was hard to believe at first -- it got really cold! I am going to have to purchase more sweatshirts or at least start layering. It´s nuts. These mountains make the weather crazy. But the morning clouds are fantastic. SASers, imagine Table Mountain surrounded by dramatic peaks of gray rock and cactus. It´s awe-inspiring, and I get a view every morning during my walk to work.