Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Monday, July 30, 2007

Road Trip Bats 1.000


Jess, Billy, me, Quinn, and Drew at the induction ceremony.

This past weekend, I took a road trip with some buddies up to Cooperstown, NY for the Hall of Fame induction ceremony. We arrived late Friday night at our campsite, spent Saturday wandering around town and perusing baseball memorabilia shops, and hung out in a giant field with 75,000 other people on Sunday for the big event. It was a love fest. Cal's speech was inspiring. I even cried. This morning, we went to the National Baseball Hall of Fame & Museum -- it was everything I could have hoped it to be.

Despite the crazy crowds, iffy weather, epic traffic jams, and mischievous kids at our campsite, this weekend rocked. I felt like a little kid, gazing in awe at the ball Roger Maris hit his 61st home run with. I remembered why I first fell in love with this game -- the myths, the legends, the detailed craft around which the whole thing is centered. Cooperstown was packed beyond capacity, and yet the small town charm was undeniable. We visited two breweries, a winery, and a cider mill. We ate awesome hometown cheese (tomato-basil-cheddar). We marveled at the adorable houses and their perfectly manicured yards-turned-parking lots.

Although the weekend was poorly organized (cool events were scheduled at conflicting times and there were no good maps available, live music, or people directing traffic), I had a total blast. I'd love to do it all again.
Posted by Picasa