Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Thursday, November 8, 2007

Adventures in Coyomeapan

This past weekend I went to Coyomeapan, a small mountain town near Oaxaca, with David, Andrea, and Estefano. On Friday, we drove for two hours through dusty towns and down bumpy roads. We made a couple wrong turns, but over all, the trip was uneventful and we arrived at our destination a couple hours before sunset.

We stayed at Cabañas Las Flores, owned by a retired couple who really know how to treat ther guests. We ate a delicious dinner, then explored a bit of the town. There wasn't much to see, but it was nice to stretch our legs and explore the muddy streets.

That night, we had some drinks and played cards next to the fire in our cabin. The señor prepared the fire for us, brought us poker chips, and hung out for a while. He is a well-traveled, interesting man and he was great company. The next morning, he led us on a hike down to a beautiful river. I twisted my ankle, so we went back a little earlier than expected. Along the way, David and the señor picked wild flowers for me, which totally made my day. On the way back to the cabins, we stopped in an old abandoned house that had been built 200 years ago. It's rumored to be haunted -- I'm not so sure about that, but it was definitely creepy. However, the view from the house was beautiful. After a couple beers and a medicine-man type episode in which our tour guide spit alcohol on my ankle, I felt 100% better.

Late that night, Estefano and David returned to the haunted house (with my flashlight). I believe Estefano got so freaked out that he actually asked David to hug him. I kick myself everytime I think about the fact that I missed this hilarity... but a girl has got to get her beauty sleep.

Here are some pictures from the weekend:



Coyomeapan -- view from the cabins.















The pretty river.














View from the "haunted" house.















Wildflowers! (this picture was totally staged, but I still think it's sweet)
















The crew: Estefano, Andrea, David, and me. Our kickass tourguide/owner of the cabins is in front.